Innovation Lab Technician
Salary: Up to £24,000 per annum dependent on experience
Allia is one of the UK’s leading organisations dedicated to helping impact ventures to thrive. Allia supports those that aim to make positive change and address the most pressing global and local challenges: through flexible workspace, networking and community in its Future Business Centres (in Cambridge, London and Peterborough); its venture support programmes for entrepreneurs; and social finance solutions to help charities create greater impact.
In the last 20 years, we have helped 1,695 ventures to start-up, grow and scale, which have launched new innovations and companies, creating 4,600 jobs and we have issued bonds raising over £333 million to help charitable organisations with development projects and activities.
Our people are pivotal to our success and we have grown expediently. Our team is almost 50 strong in three locations and we continue to add to this number. We are an equal opportunities employer who embraces diversity, inclusion and flexible working. In fact, we are the best not-for-profit employer for employee engagement in the Eastern region. We offer a great working environment, true team working ethos, great benefits and much more.
As part of our collaboration with Anglian Water, Allia is looking for an enthusiastic individual with technical knowledge and capacity to join our team and assist with the smooth operation of the Innovation Lab. This role will also provide and co-ordinate all aspects of technical support and training to users in prototyping and fabrication as well as the day to day running of the facility including managing resources, user bookings and memberships, health and safety and maintenance of service contracts etc. The position is best suited to a product developer, a trained technician with a rounded experience on the innovation lab equipment, or an engineering graduate at a minimum BEng level.
• To assist users of the Innovation Lab with using the space safely and effectively. Support users in product development activities and projects
• To work closely with the Anglian Water team to ensure needs are met and time allocations and resources are managed appropriately
• Works well under pressure whilst managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously to a high standard
• Managing the space and its use to maximum effect
• Providing or co-ordinating inductions and training for the equipment and facilities within the Innovation Lab
• Assisting businesses with their requirements and advising on the best use of equipment
• Assisting with the collection and reporting of monitoring data for the Innovation Lab
• Ensuring the health and safety protocols for the Innovation Lab
• Taking responsibility for the stock taking, ordering and safe keeping of all consumables for the Innovation Lab
• Important to maintain control of materials, equipment being used and documentation for all aspects of the lab so that the business can run smoothly
• Working with the Innovation Lab Business Development Manager to create and implement a technology roadmap which keeps the Innovation Lab up to date on emerging technologies
• Champion innovation that strategically aligns to Allia’s Vision and Objectives, testing new ideas in areas such as social entrepreneurship, social impact, and exploring how technology can tackle stubborn development challenges, and help achieve the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Supporting the Innovation Lab Business Development Manager, wider Allia and Anglian Water staff, Network Members, Innovation Lab Users and wider Community with any other aspects which may be in line with the role.
Skills, Qualifications & Personal Attributes Required
• Engineering or other relevant degree
• Must have worked or studied within a workshop environment and be familiar with an assembly of complex tasks and the development of innovative projects
• Versatile all-rounder, with specialisms which may include digital media, electronics, computing, engineering and technical design applications
• Must have a relevant degree or demonstrable equivalent experience in materials or making, which enables them to provide high-level advice to users on technical issues regarding materials, concept, design process, CAD, manufacture, finish, assembly and installation of work
• Confident and personable individual
• A willingness to learn and acquire new knowledge and skills is essential.
To apply for this role, please send an up to date CV with a supporting covering letter highlighting your skills and experience along with why we should consider you for the role and your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will not be considered without this information. Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship. All applications should be submitted by 5.00pm on Friday 5 March 2021.