The College of West Anglia: Leaders in the Degree Apprenticeship Revolution


Tuesday 28 August 2018



Degree apprenticeships can contribute to almost every organisation. While theoretical knowledge is vital, it is most powerful when applied in a practical, everyday context, where the impact is immediate.

The College of West Anglia (CWA) has been quick to embrace the opportunities available through this new work-based learning initiative and is offering BSc (Hons) Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA). This comprehensive learning programme combines business education with organisational needs and aspirations.

The curriculum covers an extensive range of business skills including managing people, planning and strategy, leadership and sustainability and marketing and finance. The apprenticeship is an exciting development route for both existing and aspiring leaders, who are seeking formal management qualifications, as it enables them to continue earning while developing their management and leadership skills within the workplace.

The College of West Anglia is one of the largest and most experienced providers of apprenticeships in the region, with its apprenticeship department earning and ‘Outstanding’ Ofsted rating at the latest inspection (2017). CWA offers a range of apprenticeships across various industries and currently works without around 900 employers to provide training for over 1,100 apprentices.

The CMDA programme is delivered over three years, with apprentices attending the college’s university centre one day a week, for 36 weeks, to complete formal training. Additional learning is supplemented online.

Upon completion of the Standard, including successful end-point assessment for the CMDA, the apprentice will become a member of the Chartered Management Institute and will be granted the Chartered Manager designation, which will remain valid as long as they continues their professional registration and maintain continuous professional development.

Course Modules
Year One
• Accounts and Finance
• Academic Skills
• Economics for Managers
• Principles of Marketing.

Year Two
• Responsible Business
• Human Resource Management and improving organisational performance
• Project Management
• Managing HRM.

Year Three
• Career Management
• Advanced Strategic Management
• Business and Employment Law
• Undergraduate Major Project (followed by end point assessment).

Entry Requirements, Fees and Funding
The Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship is appropriate for new and existing employees whose job role involves significant management responsibilities in functional aspects. This can include sales and marketing, human resources, logistics, finance and accounting.

In addition to the vocational work-place context, participants will need to demonstrate their ability to meet the academic entry requirements with GCSE passes at grade C/4 in English and Maths along with A-level/BTEC/Professional qualifications with a value of 72 UCAS tariff points.

The total fee for the course is £27,000 payable over three calendar years. Companies with an annual salary bill over £3m can utilise the apprentice levy through their digital account. Non-Levy paying employers will need to co-invest 10 per cent, with the Government paying the remaining 90 per cent.

For full information regarding this apprenticeship, please call 01553 815 600 or view online here.




Forthcoming Events

January 7 2019 / 5.00-7.00pm
Informal Networking Evening – Huntingdon
January 14 2019 / 5.00-7.00pm
Informal Networking Evening – Ely
January 16 2019 / 5.00-7.00pm
Informal Networking Evening – Peterborough
January 17 2019 / 5.00-7.00pm
Informal Networking Evening – Cambridge
January 22 2019 / 7.45-10.00am
Cambridge Safari Business Breakfast
January 23 2019 / 5.00-7.00pm
Informal Networking Evening – Fenland
January 24 2019 / 4.00-7.00pm
Beer Tasting and Networking - Ely